Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Dreams
Do you ever wonder if the dreams you have will really happen? Or If what you dream about is really something you want to happen?

I had a dream the other night that I was offered a new job and my salary was more than what Michael and I currently make combined. I decided to take the job (I had kids in my dream) and we decided that Michael would stay at home with the kids.

As long as I can remember I have always been torn between wanting to be a stay at home mom and wanting a career. I guess some of this comes from the fact that most of my life my mom was at home with me and my sister. I had friends whose mother's worked and I always felt lucky to be able to come home to my mom after school. She would be there to help us with homework and make afternoon snacks. Now that I am older I understand why sometimes it is not feasible to be a stay at home mom for some families. If I were to have a baby today there is no way we could afford for me to stay at home.

A few days after I had the dream there was a segment on the Today Show about how mothers that stay home with their kids and mothers who work do not see things eye to eye. It talked about how mothers that stay home think working mothers are "taking the easy way out" and how they should not even have kids unless they are willing to take care of them and not have babysitters to do it. Then they talked about how working moms feel that stay at home moms have it too easy and all they do is sit around at home. Personally, I don't see why all of this is such a big deal. People do what is best for THEIR family not other peoples families. After seeing all the things my mom did for me and my sister growing up she did not "have it too easy." She was always doing something for us or the house. She even did things for the "working" mothers like be our classroom mom and take their children to ball practices and watch them after school some days. I really don't know what the right balance is between working and staying home with your kids, only time will tell for me.

Back to the dream, yesterday my mom said "Wouldn't it be cool if you made enough money and Michael could stay at home and take care of the house and kids." I can't believe a few days after I had that exact dream she said that. We don't even have kids yet and I am worry about this.... CRAZY!


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah ha.. you got spammed!

That's a constant dilemma for the new woman. A couple-friend of ours have decided to adopt a baby from Guatamala, and the wife has decided to quit her job and stay home. This, of course, started a similar dialogue in my home. And I don't know the answer. :) I guess it's just what's right, right then..

 
Blogger Unknown said...

We'll just have to start businesses out of our homes and then we can do it all! Be stay at home moms and career women...and then somehow find time to sleep....

 
Blogger livingwilde said...

I think a lot of it is guilt... If you choose to stay home, you feel guilty for not contributing monetarily to the household income... If you work full time, you have that tug EVERY morning when you drop off at daycare -- even when your kid LOVES going. You just can't win. My hope is that our daughters will have considerably less angst when they make their decisions...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer -->